Hygee (pronounced hoo-guh) is a Danish word that roughly translates to coziness. But it’s so much more than that! The word hygee is used when acknowledging a feeling or moment (alone or with friends, home or out) as cosy, charming, or special. We dug up seven ways to bring the art hygee into your world.
- Warm things up. Cozy up to your fireplace and put those comfy socks on. If you don’t have a fireplace, try arranging candles together in a cluster to create a similar effect.
- Bring the outdoors in. Add some greenery and plant life to your space. Or try adding natural materials (stone, wood, etc.) throughout your home.
- Turn off the lights. Shut off those harsh overhead lights and opt for candles or table lamps instead.
- De-clutter. Clear out the clutter in your cozy space to help your mind relax. Take away any items that don’t bring you joy.
- Head to the tub! Draw a nice warm bath with relaxing scents (like lavender) and light those candles. Add a few cozy touches, like fluffy towels and quality bathmats, for some post bath comfort.
- Set the table. Time spent with family or friends, especially while sharing a great meal, is essential to practicing the art of hygge. So you’ll need a great dining room table with room for everyone!
- Keep the hot drinks coming. Tea, cocoa, or coffee – take your pick and enjoy.
What ideas to you have for bringing hygge into your world? Share them with us in the comments below.